Monday 3 June 2013

Chickpeas and vegetable curry.




This dish is my own interpretation of a vegetable curry. I rarely use ready recipes, I rather create everything what can make quick and tasty meal.
This one is one of my favourites. You can use any vegetables you want and any spices you fancy.
It's quick, healthy, clean and filling too. Served with basmati or brown rice - makes an easy and delicious dinner.

2 cups of boiled chickpeas ( or 2 tins - drained )
1 large sweet potato
1 large or a few small potatoes
1 large onion
2-3 cloves of garlic ( or more if you want to )
2 tbsp of tomato paste ( I use 1 tbsp of Harissa sometimes )
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tin of coconut milk or 1 sachet of creamed coconut

Spices:
you can use whatever you want to, my basic is always ground corriander, paprika and cumin. I like Ras-El-Hanout as well. I don't use salt but you can use it, of course.

This is the base of curry.

Next thing is vegetables - the choice is yours. Sometimes I just leave it plain, like the base. When I add vegetables, my favourites are: pumpkin or buttersquash, courgette, mixed peppers and mushrooms. I like baby carrots in it too. Choice is big and all depends of what you got at home and what is in season.

Preparation:
Light fry chopped onion and garlic on olive oil, when it changes colour add spices and tomato paste. Stir all the times, otherwise it will burn. Add about a cup and half of water. Mix it well to combine spices with liquid.
Add potatoes - cubed, stir, cover the pan and cook until potatoes are half soft (it doesn't take long as they are cubed). After that time add the rest of vegetables (if you use them). After about 5 min add coconut milk and curry is ready when potatoes and vegetables are soft and sauce became a little thick. 
To make sauce more thick, cook curry without cover or blend some of the vegetables and put them back to the pan.

Another version of this curry is prawn curry - just add prawns at the time of adding spices.

It's an example of a quick, easy and very tasty meal. And it's clean eating too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment